Repeat print project
Repeat printing- September 26th- 18th October.
Breakdown- This is my first project for my second year at Norwich University of the arts. Its a group project between 3 people, creating a design together from found objects, putting the design into a repeat pattern and silk screen printing it with 4 chosen colours. Step 1- As a group we have brought together interesting objects that complement not only each other, but our personalities. their texture, form and surface are all very different which gave a good scope for us to re-create our design more freely. using our own styles we collaborated to create something special and interestingly all of our chosen objects have a theme of life, nature and gardens (if you look at the man as a gardener!) i decided to put my earring around his neck which i think gave the composition more depth and changed the scale up a lot, making the earring more of a frame for his face as a decorative purpose like a portrait. We then ran with this idea of him being in a frame and not focusing on his lower half.
Step 1- For our first attempt as a group we worked loosely and played around with the scale. This was the key part to our designs we found out what we did and did not like. We love the man in the earring so we experimented with repeating him 3 times however, the bee, tree and flowers surrounding him were very dominating and faded the man out into the background. we didnt want this as we wanted the man as our focal point in the design, so we decided to switch the scale around.
Step 2- As a group we decided that out of all of the drawings we had done of the man that we all liked Leahs the most as it looked very free and fluid just like how natural and relaxed we were in the step 1 process. I then decided to draw the earrings for the design swell as the detailing inside. The contrast of the sketchy/broken line compare to my bold and darker lines on the earring really give more depth to our drawing.
Step 3- Filling the space with pencilled lines of the flowers, bees and swirls from the tree. It took a while for us to find the balance of each feature and where it should be placed for an equal balance. we wanted all of the objects besides the man to go underneath and not overlap hims it looks as though they are more of a background and the man is the dominating focal point.
Step 4- Filling in our pencilled designs into pen. This stage was exciting as i was seeing our design pop out from the page and come to life! The bees we drew were fairly difficult to get our head around how and where to draw their wings. because their wings are transparent and we can only indicate the by overlapping them with the rest of the design. we just hoped they wouldn't get too lost in our garden!
Step 5- Once we had the designs outline put into pen, we then filled in the necessary areas with thick black post pens. From the first session where we learnt how to quickly sketch a large design from objects we learnt, that from afar the drawing needs to have a mixture of scale, composition and a variation on lines i.i thick/thin.
Step 6- For the final stage we cut through the direct middle of our design but not a straight line. this is so that your eyes are not guided to a prominent line within the repeat. Once split in half we then tapped them together from the opposite sides. Then with the final blank white spaces (from the two ends being stuck together) we filled the spaces with ours design features including; flowers, bees and the swirls.
Step 7- Our chosen colour-way; Scarlett red= 0.4 grams Jade Green=0.2 grams peach (orange) = 0.1 grams Navy Blue = 0.375 grams. Because we were mesureing 500grams of paste to mix with our Acid dyes this then made our final accurate print measurements to; Scarlett= 20 grams Jade Green= 10 grams Peach (orange) = 5 grams Navy Blue= 5 grams (to make it more accurate and even.
Here is our design on 4 pieces of kodatrace. each piece of kodatrace which are layered onto of each other represent our 4 colours.
Step 8- It took 2 and a half hours to measure and set up out printing table and where our fabric would be placed and stuck down. Once that was out of the way we had our large screens which each represented our colours. it took an additional 4 hours to print our length with all colours. i mixed all of our colours by myself and i am super proud with how they have turned out more accurate than we had ever anticipated. I must be great with mixing and measuring!! During the whole process of the print we recorded it with a time lapse on my phone. I'm still finding it very soul crushing that we can fit 4 hours of work into a 32 second video! here it is, enjoy!
My final colour way! I have been inspired by an image for my colour way and also I'm a massive fan of warm earthy colours. Also on the WGSN forecasting site for fashion and interiors there are surprisingly a lot of autumnal colours for their spring/summer 2017 predictions. my colour testing went very well, i mixed a few colours together to make the brown and the blue which i found fun because it was a lot more daring and experimental mixing to find out how it will turn out instead of just using the one colour from a pot which can be fairly predictable. My colour way mesurments (per 200 grams of paste); chestnut and brown = 2 grams of each to make the warm brown orange= 6 grams to make a peach Green and blue= 12.grams and 0.8 grams to make duck egg blue.